Please read these notes carefully, before filling in the attached form:
1. The Visiting Fellowships in Jewish Studies at the National Library of Israel are awarded for one full academic year. No applications for extension will be considered.
2. Candidates must be permanent residents abroad.
3. Candidates must have received most of their academic training outside of Israel.
4. Candidates must hold a non-tenured teaching position, or receive tenure after September 2017, at a university abroad. They must be involved specifically in the teaching of courses in Jewish Studies. Fellows will be required to indicate their intent that upon completion of the 2017/2018 academic year they will resume teaching Jewish Studies at a university outside of Israel.
5. Candidates must have obtained their Ph.D. on or after September 2011. The Ph.D. degree must be awarded before the beginning of the fellowship period.
6. The amount of the Fellowship for 2017/2018 is ILS 130,000. Where applicable, Fellows will receive an additional allowance of ILS 10,500 per accompanying family member. Fellows will be entitled to a modest travel grant, depending on the point of departure and the size of the family. All expenses for housing and medical care are the sole responsibility of the Fellow.
7. The program will include regular meetings with a senior scholar who will be selected in consultation with the Fellow and who will serve as an academic advisor.
8. They will be provided with access to resources across Israel as well as guidance from the curators and staff of the National Library. Fellows are expected to present their research in a symposium to be held at the end of the year.
9. Fellows who are not competent in Hebrew will be encouraged to take a semester of Ulpan study.
Application form and supporting documents
10. Applicants should use the online application form
Supporting documents should include:
a) Curriculum vitae
b) A copy of one recent publication, representative of the candidate’s research.
11. Letters of recommendation written in English, from two referees, at the request of the candidate. The letters should be signed and written on letterhead paper and sent in PDF format. They should be regarded as confidential and submitted by the referees directly to email@example.com
12. Completed application forms and supporting documents must be received no later than 31 January 2017. A candidate who does not comply with the terms of these guidelines will not be considered for a Fellowship.